PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is BALPA fit for purpose
View Single Post
Old 8th Dec 2013, 18:44
Itch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for all of your responses so far and lets keep this going!

Lets go back to basics and the reason for having a union in the first place.

Flybe's CEO and its management team are motivated by one thing and one thing only. MONEY. They don't care if they are in the aviation industry or a hedge fund or making rubber dog . They will do what ever they can to make the most money.

Unions are there to ensure that employees are not exploited in the managements relentless desire to make more money.

Flybe's management have indentified what they believe is the most cost effective method of reducing excess capacity "Close small bases, Get rid of the Jets, Get rid of the people in the small bases and those who fly the jets" Nice and simple, yes? Well yes! In fact there is an unexpected bonus! All of the people who fly the jets are also on the highest salaries.
Why? Because Flybe claim to desire loyalty from their staff which is why they encourage loyalty by giving extra money to them for every year they stay with the company and free flights even a free pen after 10 years! Oh yes and they also have promised to reward that loyalty by showing loyalty back to those loyal employees by operating a LIFO system where those that have chosen to forgo higher salaries better t&c's etc are promised that most important perk JOB SECURITY! Number one on the seniority list knows that everyone else has to be made redundant before he is!

It really is that simple. Its all in black and white.

I'm no lawyer but I know there is such a thing as a verbal contract! Well flybe's policies are all published! If that does not give Balpa the mandate to take Flybe to court then I don't know what does! So Balpa may loose, I accept that. But if Balpa one of the richest unions around don't fight this in court then I and every other Balpa member will know that they are not fit for purpose!

I am not asking people to with hold subscriptions but I am asking them to make their voices heard and tell Balpa what they think should be done!

To my colleagues in Flybe who are not currently effected I urge you to ask yourself one question. When you are old and unlikely to be re-employed, when you have a family to support do you think you will desire your employer to honour its published policies? If the answer is yes you need to support Balpa in fighting this, even if it costs you your present job!

Short term, selfish behaviour is why the career choice of pilot has already become second rate. Lets change it!