PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Police helicopter crashes onto Glasgow pub
Old 8th Dec 2013, 17:39
WASALOADIE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DAPT

The pilot in this case was previously military.

Mil Rotary use the WADFIR principle for dealing with emergencies.

Warn the crew
Achieve Safe Flight or Land
Diagnosis
FRC Actions
Intentions
Radio Call

However the principle can be tailored to suit the nature of the emergency. Note that Radio Call comes last and is done if possible and time permits.

I think that in this case, the pilot had enough to contend with in trying to achieve the second item in the best way possible at night, in an area with very few options.

I've seen some struggle to achieve all of this in training with the luxury of advanced notice and height and be able to achieve a full flare recovery, in daylight.

For all the armchair experts out there who are having a go at the AIB for not getting a preliminary cause out yet, give them a break! They must carry out the investigation thoroughly and and without jumping to conclusions. They have to determine what damage was caused prior to and after the crash. They have a mountain of evidence to sift through and must ensure they don't overlook any detail. I'm sure when they have the facts that they will report their findings.

Finally, I'd like to say, there is a lot of B0110x on this thread and some have you have demonstrated why you are not employed by the AIB or maybe you shouldn't even be employed within the aviation industry!