PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 2014 Urgent Military Requirement?
View Single Post
Old 8th Dec 2013, 15:14
Xercules

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Booms on Voyager

VascodaG doubts whether the metal for the last few Voyagers has been cut yet and, therefore, that there should be no problem providing them with refuelling booms or UAARSIs. If the RAF changed its requirement and decided on these refinements that would not alter the issue. Voyagers would still all start life as standard civil birds then be flown to Madrid for conversion.

You must remember that Airbus is a civil aircraft manufacturer and for civil aircraft there are no export control issues. However, several components of the A330 are either designed or manufactured or both in the States and should these be modified for military use (no matter how small the modification) a little issue called ITAR (International Traffic in Arms Regulations) comes into play. ITAR are the US regulations governing exports not just from the US but also whatever and wherever it all goes next. For those not aware of what this means suffice it to say ITAR can be complicated, restrictive and, because of nationality limits on access to the US military technology, even illegal under UK and EU law.

When we thought we had won the USAF contract (before old Bubba threw his toys out of his cot) we investigated incorporating the refuelling components during the initial build - an order for 170+ aircraft did make it seem worthwhile despite the complications for the civil manufacturing lines. However, for the numbers involved in the non-USAF orders it is more efficient overall to keep the normal manufacturing process ITAR free and isolate the military work from the civil.

By the way, I also note BEagle's continuing/continuous disparagement of all AAR MPSs other than that on the A310. What he fails to mention is that he has a vested interest in that system. I need say no more and yes I did work for Airbus.