PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Moving to South Africa
View Single Post
Old 8th Dec 2013, 11:55
Doodlebug

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello Breakthesilence,

I was born in S.A. and grew up there. I have also lived and worked in a number of other African countries. If you're a single man, great, have at it, enjoy and good luck, hope you find work, and that you keep winning the daily Russian Roulette that life down there has devolved into.

However, should you be considering bringing a spouse, or even children, please take note of the cautionary tone in some of these posts. South Africa is becoming one of the world's most dangerous countries, even though it still superficially has many of the trappings of the first-world. You may be black for all I know. This would definately give you a massive advantage with respect to finding employment (virtually impossible for a white male now due to the blatantly racist laws), but it is not a guarantee of safe conduct in the middle of the night, or when coming to a halt at a traffic-light. Everybody is a target. Perhaps you're politically on the extreme left. Again, you remain a target. The chances of becoming a victim of violent crime in South Africa are relatively high, and the odds are looking worse by the day. Yes, it is a truly beautiful place, and there are some wonderful people there, too. It is so great that I would possibly be living down there right now, taking my chances and be damned the consequences, if I were still single. But with marriage and children come responsibility. God help you if something happens to them, it would be on you for the rest of your days.

I mean no offence to anyone with this post, this subject is dynamite. Good luck, whatever you do.