PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is BALPA fit for purpose
View Single Post
Old 8th Dec 2013, 09:29
mad_jock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You might find that flybe are stuck.

The job is being made redundant not the person.

So if they make someone redundant and then fill the position with someone else within 1 year then the person who is made redundant can then start legal proceedings.

BALPA will be stuck in the middle as well. The senior pilots wanting it to be LIFO and back fill Q400 slots, the pilots who would now be kicked out will be saying hang on that's illegal BALPA take them to court my job wasn't made redundant there is someone else doing it now.

however that isn't an option that is currently being offered...
I think the removal of 2/3rds of the wage bill will be the reason if in fact that is true. The training costs are a bit of a red herring in my opinion 1 senior Captains salary for a year would pay for 6 type ratings.

If all airlines are just allowed to make people redundant at the drop of a hat every time they move or remove an airframe then none of us can sleep soundly in our beds at night can we?
Welcome to the new world of aviation, its now very unusual for pilots to actually work for the airline. We are all pumped through some 3rd party company which deals with the wages and if they want they just close it down and transfer the pilots to another company if they have any problems with crew. Its a right pain, some of the youngsters can't get mortgages etc even after working for the same outfit for 5 years because on paper they are self employed even though they don't want to be. Then you get the occasion transfer of middle company's due to changes in tax laws so the company's can take advantage of low corporation tax's. Which leads to the crew being wide open to getting into trouble with multiple country's tax laws.

Company ops , in one country, AOC in another, company owned and controlled in another, crewing company in another, your actually flying out of another one and your resident somewhere else.