PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Police helicopter crashes onto Glasgow pub
Old 8th Dec 2013, 09:02
SilsoeSid

Purveyor of Egg Liqueur to Lucifer

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts
Problem is, some of us have in front of us the cards, the books and at times the aircraft, trying to work out what might have happened, for our own peace of mind. After all, it is us that know the finer details of operating the aircraft.

If we then throw an idea out there, however cryptic, we are leapt upon by those that either don't fly, don't fly rotary, don't fly at at night, don't fly twins, don't fly turbines, don't fly in controlled airspace, don't fly the 135, don't fly in the role, don't complete challenge/response pre to/landing checks etc etc.

While I'm painting I think these things over, while the coat dries I can look things up. When I'm forced to sit in front of jungle or dance programs, the same applies, it's as simple as that.

At the beginning of this thread I suggested that people needed to download things, ie the 135 flight manual.
When I highlighted that when the twist grips are wound off, the N2 stabilises at 60%; As the Nr decays, on reaching 60% the gearbox will once again then be driven by the engines, yet the replies went;

"As you must know, I do not fly the EC135 and so have no reason to download the RFM. But every helicopter I have flown (and that's quite a few types, single and twins, including flying in the same police role), requires the engines to be secured in an emergency autorotative landing such as this appears to have been.

If the engines were running or not (I can only assume you mean that in this type they are selected to "Idle", rather than "Off" for an emergency autorotative landing), the Nr would still decay during the landing because they wouldn't respond to collective input, would they?
"

As a consequence, I deleted my what I thought of as informative posts in a huff (2 Dec 10:04) in a case of 'what's the point' because the missile, shooting, laser, church etc theories were accepted as possibilities, as for using the utilisation of the nitesun or skyshout, nice thought with good intent, however..!

Am I losing it?
Well I guess if you were to see me sat in the seat with books on my lap going through various possibilities, twisting throttles, touch drilling and walking around our aircraft asking the airframe what could have happened, well maybe I am.