PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Delta 767 runway excursion in MAD
View Single Post
Old 8th Dec 2013, 02:29
None

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
transilvana said "The only reason for non stopping the aircraft is insuficient runway left, where not you told in sim to stop on the runway in a case like this?"

transilvana,
Since you are offering your suppositions, then I’d like to offer some additional thoughts as well.

If they lost the center and right hydraulic system and if because of the tire damage they lost all fluid in those hydraulic systems, then they would lose a lot of important items. The photos show there was significant damage due to the number 8 tire shredding at rotation...you can see this in the photos. That made this heavy weight landing not such a simple event because of the collateral damage.

The damage could possibly have caused the following problems if they lost the center and right hydraulic systems:

They would have had to use alternate gear extension, alternate flap extension, Flaps 20 for landing, a Vref30+20 of 180+ knots, no right thrust reverser, normal brakes inop, alternate brakes inop, no autospoilers, some of the spoilers will be lost even with manual extension, loss of reserve brakes (if they lost the fluid in that closed system as well), loss of nosewheel steering (same reason as loss of reserve brakes), and one shot of accumulator brakes. After accumulator press drops to 1000psi they would be left with only the left thrust reverser for both stopping and steering (if you want to call that steering). So, you can imagine them approaching the end of the runway at a taxi speed, but without brakes or NWS...and yet they manage to use the left reverser to steer the jet about 40 degrees to the left onto taxiway LA and J2. They may have had only the left thrust reverser to accomplish this. Perhaps they departed the prepared surface at about 5-10 knots (so the images suggest).

No injuries. My first thought is hats off to the crew with all that they had to deal with.

In case your friend is not aware, I’d also like to add that runway 32L has a displaced threshold that removes the first 928M/3045ft of the runway. So, if someone observes the landing and is not familiar with the 32L displaced threshold, then that could make you think you see something wrong. If your friend is familiar with the 32L displaced threshold, then I’m not sure why he would suggest they landed near mid-runway.

I would encourage you to first default to thinking that the crew did a great job with the situation. This can perhaps prevent future embarrassment in the event that the facts prove some of your statements to be…well…less than accurate.

I too look forward to finding out the actual details, and to see if the above is anywhere close to what really happened.