PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How does your company describe circling approaches?
Old 8th Dec 2013, 02:28
AirRabbit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RAT 5
I challenge, nay defy, anyone to maintain visual contact at low level on a rainy night with 2400m vis when they are on the outside of the circuit turns. Given the experience of some guys in RHS who will trust their judgement that "it's OK to turn now, boss."
Been there, done that, in big a/c and it works. Sometimes numbers are a very useful tool. The same is true with power settings. If you set it too low to start with it ain't going to work, so why do it? OK, there are those who say if you need more then give it; same with less only reduce it. But I still advocate that it makes life simpler, less work load and puts me in charge and ahead of the a/c, if I set a sensible power setting first and then fine tune it. If I guess in the dark and have to chase after the a/c IMHO that's not the way. But that is a whole other philosophy than the circling matter. It's just an answer about 'the numbers' idea.
I think I mentioned that any pilot is free to fly their airplane in any manner that is safe and does not exceed the rules or the aircraft certification limits. Hopefully, the manner chosen by most pilots will be completely in line with both the company’s and the manufacturer’s preferences for how to do what it is they are doing. If it’s easier for you to run through a quick calculation to determine a logical power setting – and are adept at being able to make necessary adjustments to “fine tune” that setting to keep the airspeed where you want/need it … I am certainly not going to quarrel with you. In my experience, I have not come across very many who are able to do what you describe – I believe what you say and have no intent to dissuade you from your choice of actions. What I have seen is one prospective new-hire or one relatively new student surreptitiously attempting to pass the “gouge” along to others in the class to know what power setting and pitch attitude to use to maintain an appropriate airspeed during a no-flap approach, or engine-out approach and landing, as well as other, similar such “gouges” and other “cheat-sheet” assistance. Not only does that very likely ruin that individual’s chance at being honestly evaluated – it very likely will set up in that person’s mind that it’s the perceived performance that matters … and “doing the job” comes further on down the list of important factors. THAT is what I was objecting to – and I’ll continue to object to it, in the strongest of terms.