PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I've always wanted to be a pilot (Merged)
Old 8th Dec 2013, 00:08
_riannedrxw

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice for an aspiring pilot?

Hi new to pprune, just looking for some opinions

I'm 17, currently doing my first year of A-levels. Studying: geography, psychology, maths & physics. Achieved 14.5 A*-C in GCSE, including an A in maths, physics, chemistry, english, and an A* in biology.

For me, piloting was an undiscovered passion because i was never exposed to it at a young age. All my relatives are in the area of banking and finance. Then it came to year 9 and everyone was choosing career options, the typical lawyers, accountants & doctors. Then a career adviser mentioned piloting to me, and i never really thought about that as a career. So i went to a pilot exhibition, found out so much that i didn't previously know. And since then i have been completely captivated not just by aircraft, but by the whole industry of aviation and am really determined on becoming a pilot.

I'm a bit unsure of what to do after i have finished a-levels. I've looked at British Airways FPP, it is amazing and definitely considering on applying for it. But i'm aware of how tough the selection process is, and if i wasn't to be successful is basically my dilemma. I just need a plan B and i don't know what area to go into; whether doing an apprenticeship, or possibly paying for flight school , or doing some sort of aeronautical engineering course at university, although i don't really want to go into higher education.

Opinions and guidance please