PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is BALPA fit for purpose
View Single Post
Old 7th Dec 2013, 20:16
Love_joy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A major part of the issue inside of flybe is that we used to have a lovely policy in place to deal with such matters, the document formally known as Policy F.

The thing about Policy F, was that all the pilots agreed with it, so did Balpa and the company. It was enshrined in the same document as our scheduling, pay etc.

Despite having years to amend, or change the company did nothing. Policy F sat dormant.

When it came down to using it as a tool in redundancy, we all discovered that the cost of retraining Embraers drivers back onto the Dash made the policy entirely unworkable. Chopping the bottom of the list only gets rid of the cheap FO's, and the cost of retraining would bankrupt the company.

It's also true, some of the senior guys are paid as much as 4 FO's combined.

Sitting in the bottom third of the list, I have to say it feels pretty lowsy to think I might be 'safe', but another friend or colleague with years more service might be out. That doesn't sit right.

I've been working angles myself to leave, but without meaningful jet time, or command time on the Dash I'm stuck.