PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Blue Silk,Green Satin and Orange Harvest.
Old 7th Dec 2013, 17:42
manxterberg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blue Silk,Green Satin and Orange Harvest.

Hi lads.
When in the RAF in the 60s I worked in the Electronic Stores Group at RAF Changi S'pore,1964-66. There were some matched sets of Radar gear,three pieces to a set,one was called Blue Silk with two dome shaped items on a deck and the other Green Satin with two pillar shaped pieces on a deck.Both came with two other pieces,one of which was an Altimeter type instrument,but I can't remember what the other piece of the matched sets were. I seem to recall the Blue Silk was for Shackletons and maybe Hastings and the Green Satin for Argosys and Transport Command Comets and Britannias.Did they correct drift - like if the A/C is heading due north with a westerly wind then the compass would still show north but the A/C would be blown to the right and not on course? When I was at RAF Scampton there was another piece of equipment called Orange Harvest,for the Vulcans but nobody would tell me what it was for in 1967. Alongside all this sophisticated equipment in the ESG at Scampton was "Chaff" in bales which they used in WW2.I also remember some equipment at Changi called CCWR - commonly known by the ARSF lads as "cloud and clonk". was this anti-collision radar,like Doppler?
Can anybody shed some light on this equip as it must be redundant now.

Chris.