PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Skippers lose conquest at mine?
View Single Post
Old 1st Apr 2003, 18:31
Apollo 4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fish

Small Glass

You contradict yourself and are losing sight of the facts.

I will guarantee you that any effo at Skippers would accept immediately a position as full time employee. Why? Because they know that they would be infinitely better off and if they are on the equivalent of 3 days a week then life would be sweet. They are lucky to get 2 days.

At the moment an effo waits by the phone like a love sick puppy waiting for a love interest to ring. How degrading!!! Ring ring “hello”, “would you like to fly tomorrow”? “Oh yes please honey”! Thank you grovel grovel…

An effo can’t get a loan because he is casual; AN EFFO WILL RARELY DECLARE THAT HE IS UNFIT/FATIGUED FOR WORK UNLESS IT IS PATENTLY OBVIOUS, why? Because if he doesn’t fly he doesn’t get paid….If he doesn’t fly he gets no hours in the log book.

Skippers don’t even have the decency to publish a roster so that all the casuals can plan their lives at least a week ahead… SO MUCH FOR THE GREAT ORGANISATIONAL SKILLS… Crap! They are just control freaks.

As for working more days a week, every effo would give their left knacker to be able to fly every day in the words of another, in a place they want to be, to places they want to go and in an aircraft they love to fly….. The more hours in the log book the better, so that argument won’t wash.

SGOP
Quote: I do not get much sleep though and after four hours rest go flying. I stuff up during some emergency etc etc. In the end the company can wipe their hands of it as its my fault. What I do in my own time is up to me.

In deed what you do in your own time is your own business; however the minute you take a seat up the front end, your business is every passengers business. If you think that any passenger would condone a tired, fatigued, sick or infirmed crew member you are truly mistaken. Then again this sounds exactly like a product of the Skippers school of safety and risk assessment…. “Don’t know don’t care”.

You are correct nothing will change until management recognise the flaw in their casual approach to fatigue management and safety. Let’s hope it doesn’t take a fatality or a law suit..

YBRM

Quote: I agree GA is not the greatest industry to work in, but these are the conditions, and god knows I love to fly aircraft, so I'll accept the BS for what it is.

This is a sad indictment on your attitude to the casual crews you work with and the willingness to acknowledge that the system is buls sh1t and yet you have no balls to condemn it.

To be fair your handle is probably well known to the Skippers management and thus a little bit of a company loyalty may go a long way. Sad.
If you love to fly, why would any of the casual effos not want to fly 5 days a week for 34 k with paid sick leave, (for the times when they have only had 4 hours sleep) or 6 weeks paid holidays so you can take the Mrs away or heaven forbid apply to a bank for a loan to get a unit or a car etc???????

The issue is SAFETY the rules say don’t fly fatigued and don’t let any one fly when fatigued.. but who is going to make the decision??

The Casual Pilot will not, the management don’t want to know and CASA are flat out trying to get out of the office without looking for more work.

So who will make the decision ? Who will stop this lunacy? The client that is who!
If this thread was to be forwarded to all the Skippers clients in the mining game, I doubt any of them would be happy about the way the Fatigue Issue is being handled, I doubt that they would reckon that it fits in with their philosophy of fatigue anagement…

Maybe then management might at least post a roster for the casual effos to see what they are doing two weeks in advance and whether the flying is being shared out properly in advance.

Then again the mining companies might insist on FULL TIME employment…..