PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PO Simon Tompkins,RAF Valley 1989
View Single Post
Old 7th Dec 2013, 14:33
Min Drag

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tommo remembered.

Graham & Barnaby,

Wow, it was a very strange thing that I found this thread, I rarely (maybe once a year) look at the Military Forum and I was browsing back through the pages with a cuppa and found this!

Absolutely fantastic to see so many nice things said about "Tommo"; I was at Linton with him following in his footsteps soon to join at RAF Valley when this tragic accident occurred.

Tommo & I "held" together at 42 Sqn RAF St Mawgan before BFT, we became very good friends and had more than enough laughs in the few years that I knew him.

I remember being dropped off at Landsend with a FO Whittle with rucksacks and tents in December and trudging along the North Cornish Coast slowly making our way back to Newquay in foul weather kipping in sand dunes and drinking in the pubs from as early to as late as possible just to stay warm!

I also remember being on detachment with Tommo and 42 Sqn out in Cyprus and me managing to dissuade Tommo, who was using his best negotiating skills, from losing a fortune on a "lady of the night" in Heroes Square, Limassol

He was a fine man and a good friend, his accident shocked us all and had a profound affect on many of us. I remember him frequently and am so glad to see that others do too.

I stayed in touch with Barnaby (and his wife Bryony) and his mother Helen for many years after that until she sadly passed away in Spain.

I shall raise one to "Tommo" tonight

I will PM both of you………..