PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Police helicopter crashes onto Glasgow pub
Old 7th Dec 2013, 12:37
Chris Scott

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Helpful advice for the AAIB...

Quotes from Winch-control:

"Given we are in the 21st century, is it not to be considered unacceptable, that the authorities, given to them power to investigate, cannot with all the evidence laid in front of them come up with an answer as to the cause?
"I would suggest 7 days, 10 at the most is adequate. If the AIB need 12 months plus to resolve the reasons for any accident/incident I would suggest they are sadly very lacking, and not fit for service."

So it's "unacceptable". I'm sure the guys and gals at Farnborough will be mortified to be censured by someone who understands these matters so much better than they. S'pose they might plead in mitigation that the mechanics of an aircraft accident have changed little since the dawn of flight, not to mention Newton's laws.

"Possibly they are financially capped, short of personnel, these issues must be resolved."

Thanks for the antipodal tip! No doubt doubling the number of investigators on this case would halve the time to produce the answers... Or could it be that the person who normally types-up the bulletins is on leave this week? BTW, everything is "financially-capped" over here these days.

"There is no apparent mechanical problem with this incident. If there was the a/c would be grounded."

Quite: you've answered your own question. So, given that we are in the 21st Century, could it simply be instant gratificaion that you are demanding?

Perhaps your ire would be better directed at the manufacturers, certificators, and operators. Given that we are in the 21st century, in which the acquisition and storage of data is so much more practicable than before, why are 3-tonne vehicles flying 500 feet above us with no recorders?