PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Am I really that old?!!
View Single Post
Old 18th Mar 2002, 00:27
schuler_tuned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Deep Float, you say that airlines prefer 20 yr olds because they can offer 35 yr's of service.. .Where have you heard this? Airlines want 20 yr olds because they can "mould" them to their way of thinking. Again, where have you heard this?. .Perhaps the common thread is B.A.?, which has stopped C.E.P. recruitment i.e. 20 yr olds, and that only filled a fraction of their requirements anyway.. . Quiz time- 1,name the number of airlines that have remained in business for 35 year's or more(U.K.). . 2,name the number of airlines that haven't, or for even 20,15 or even 10! . . As for youth against age comprehension of computer/efis, I can only say it's the biggest load of b******s I've ever heard. Is the general dogmatic view that someone over 30, who is capable of passing ATPL theory exams isn't capable of understanding an electronic representation of a H.S.I.etc? Sorry, but I'm a 35 yr old career changing engineer that has been immersed in computers/electronic info' for 15 yrs, and just maybe the problem is with the pre-Gates era of C.P.'s that believe that anyone under 30 can't possibly understand it.. . Question time- you're a pax, you learn that the capt has become incapacitated, the wx is bad and you have a choice of pilots to land the aeroplane, both of the same flying expierence,. . number 1, is 20+yrs old, cap 509, family-funded, straight from college.. . number 2, is 35yrs old, modular, self-funded, worked where ever it took to fund licience.. . If you find any difficulties in answering the above,then phone a friend, as I did. By the way he's just retired at 60yrs, capt of 737-ng, first commrecial employment at 49yr's.. . . . P.S.,I'm not anti youth or anti wealth, just anti dogma!