PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Skippers incident.
View Single Post
Old 7th Dec 2013, 08:30
haughtney1

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Tee Emm and Capn Bloggs-

Or the Captain, as pilot monitoring could have said "GO AROUND" when they got the EGPWS.

or he could have said "I have CONTROL"

I don't know if the weather conditions were so bad to preclude he FO from flying the sector or if the company SOPS had any ruling on weather conditions precluding the FO from landing.

The fact that the captain wasn't the pilot flying should have given him the situational awareness to see when the approach was going pear shaped and called for the go around.

That would still be acting like a Captain would it not?
Quite succinct and accurate, moreover that would be as I expect it to be done.

Reading between the lines, it would appear that the approach, or more to the point the type of approach it turned into was inappropriate for the conditions (essentially benign with a bit of patchy cloud/fog about) e.g. bloody near a split arse turn!
Quite frankly I'm astounded that this type of maneuver was even contemplated..and speaks volumes about the company culture and the commanders mindset/comfort level in allowing it to continue.
The report reads like the two individuals concerned were PERFECTLY happy to pole the a/c about in this fashion....and only when the EGPWS started chirping was anything said, again for me..volumes being spoken right there.
I don't think this is an issue regarding PM v PF or PIC v 2IC, this has far more to do with a mindset and potentially a flight Ops culture, the reason I say potentially about the fly Ops culture is that the two individuals chose not to report the incident...