PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is BALPA fit for purpose
View Single Post
Old 7th Dec 2013, 05:35
Itch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is BALPA fit for purpose

If your Airline has a seniority based culture this thread effects you!

You may have heard that Flybe plans to make 179 out of 600 pilots redundant.

You are probably not aware that the 179 are the most senior in the company
(People with up to 25 years loyal Flybe service)

Flybe have a seniority based culture. Their policies state that redundancies will be carried out using LIFO (Last IN First Out) regardless of seat, fleet or base. The management unilaterely (without union or employee agreement) withdrew these policies just before announcing the redundancies, saying
1. We can't afford to do it that way
2. We think it would infringe age discrimination laws

Flybe have a mixed fleet (Prop and Jet). All the senior pilots (Jet) have been put at risk of redundancy. luckily for them no prop pilots have been.

If Balpa allow Flybe to get away with disregarding the policies that all pilots have based their career decisions on it will set a national president! So this effects pilots everywhere!

I'm not convinced that Balpa have the backbone for this fight, which is why I'm seeking to apply pressure on them by starting this thread.
I believe the time has come to test LIFO in the courts, so that all airlines will know if its an enforceable principle.

The Flybe LIFO issue could be one of Balpa's finest moments or it could prove them to be spineless (unfit for purpose).
Flybe are in consultation with Balpa now and it will be concluded mid Jan.
If you feel this issue is important then please watch what happens closlely and comment on this thread.
I shall reserve my judgement until the end but hope to applaud them. Otherwise I shall find myself in a tribunal, with many others, at our own expense wondering why we paid all those Balpa subscriptions.