PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Police helicopter crashes onto Glasgow pub
Old 6th Dec 2013, 21:24
SilsoeSid

Purveyor of Egg Liqueur to Lucifer

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts
Glasgow pub tragedy prompts West Midlands helicopter checks « Express & Star

Glasgow pub tragedy prompts West Midlands helicopter checks

Dec 4th 2014
Police and ambulance helicopters in the West Midlands have been checked over by safety experts following the Glasgow tragedy that claimed nine lives.

Fleets have undergone rigorous safety checks, with the force’s Chief Constable Chris Sims saying: “Given we operate helicopters of a very similar design and style, there were concerted efforts from the National Police Air Service to check safety.

The messages that came back were reassurances that our helicopters are operating to a standard and continue to operate safely.”

The checks were made after a Scottish police aircraft crashed into the Clutha bar on Friday night. “They were tragic events in Glasgow and I’ve written to express our condolences,” added Mr Sims. “I cannot think of another instance when an organisation has lost its own people and are dealing with a tragedy they were very much involved in.

“I think they have dealt with it well.”

Mr Sims made the remarks during a meeting of the West Midlands Strategic Policing and Crime Board yesterday, which began with a period of respectful silence for the victims of the Glasgow tragedy.

Brendan Connor, chairman for the Midlands Air Ambulance charity, added: “We have three similar 315 helicopters and continue to operate them safely.”

Dear Mr Sims ........