PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Minimum height for practice stall recovery in C172
Old 6th Dec 2013, 05:56
Old Akro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wouldn't like to face the legal argument that a stall is not an aerobatic manoeuvre. It is a manoeuvre where you don't have full control over the aircraft. There is no clear definition of aerobatic flight (ask John Quadrio who lost is licence over a technical point about aerobatics that CASA won in the AAT). However, the FAA definition is widely accepted:

Any manoeuvre involving an abrubt change in an aircraft’s attitude, an abnormal attitude, or abnormal acceleration, not necessary for normal flight
If something went wrong and were were doing stalls under 3,000 ft I think you'd find yourself in a whole world of pain with CASA.

Remember that the Cessna height loss figure comes from a perfect aircraft. Add in some mis-rigging developing over the years, a cofg at the back of the envelope, wrong initial control inputs from a student and the answer will be completely different.

And I have a mate who is dead after giving a potential purchaser a test flight who stalled the aircraft then messed up the recovery without sufficient height for my mate to recover it.

You know the saying about useless things in aviation....

Last edited by Old Akro; 6th Dec 2013 at 06:20.