PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SQ286 return to AKL with tail strike damage.
Old 1st Apr 2003, 13:08
The_Cutest_of_Borg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well maybe I do come across as someone intolerant of error. I don't believe that I am.

Way back in my neophyte days I read something that someone wrote about this job that made an impression on me then and still resonates. The quote when something along the lines of, "Those pilots unwilling to take responsibility for their actions, should aggressively seek other employment."

Now I take this to mean that, yes mistakes do occur. But, when it comes down to it my basic responsibility is to get a large aeroplane from point A to point B as safely as possible. Emphasis on MY.

I may be tired, that does not excuse me from that responsibility. If I am tired I need to take extra care.

I may be 11 hours out of my time zone, that does not excuse me.

I may be distracted, that too does not excuse me.

We all miss things when we are tired, but the knowledge of the weight of your aircraft in all stages of flight is paramount. Therefore it requires careful checking and crosschecking, no matter how tired, distracted, horny or circadian challenged you may be.

I don't jump on crew members for making mistakes however, and when they pick up one of mine I thank them for their attention.

What concerns me these days is that I am starting to see a trend where pilots in particular see the holistic approach to accident investigation as mitigating their responsibilities and absolving them of blame when circumstances are not ideal.

So therefore I am critical of any attempt to find an excuse for a basic error such as this one, particularly one that could have easily been prevented by adherence to SOP's.

If that characterises me a hard man these days, so be it.