PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Police helicopter crashes onto Glasgow pub
Old 5th Dec 2013, 20:22
SASless

Received 514 Likes on 215 Posts
Why do I keep thinking the Clutha Roof Top was not an intentional target for a landing?

I look around the Pub....and see numerous better and easier accessed landing areas....even if none of them are "good" choices given automobile and pedestrian traffic and the lack of really good lighting.

I see plenty of car parks, some open areas, some wooded areas, streets, road junctions, courtyards, and the River (remembering the aircraft was equipped with floats).....yet the aircraft wound up on the roof of a crowded Pub that was surrounded by obstacles.

I am sure most would agree it would not be the first logical choice of a place to land.

My own personal gut reaction would have been to try for the least "populated" , most open area, even if it meant landing on or between parked cars.

Unless and until we are placed into the same situation that occurred that night....we will not know what we would really do....and I mean no criticism of the Pilot....but am just trying to work through the various aspects of what we see in the photos and am trying to visualize what could have happened.

The Results of the AAIB Investigation will begin to answer the questions we all have posed and discussed as they will have far more evidence to work from.....including some of what we see here in the Thread and that they develop themselves.