PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Air Engineer Branch
View Single Post
Old 5th Dec 2013, 16:58
smujsmith

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TBT,

GEs were always worse off than the Air Eng, we never had the flying pay you guys did

Fergie,

Yes thanks Im as well as can be expected for someone who was once a compatriot of Mike Libby. Are you located near Auckland ? I have a good, ex Herk pal who lives there.

So, I get to the aircraft as the rest of the routes real workers arrive. The Eng and Loady, who proceed to pre flight Albert. I for my part carry out all the necessary preparations for the route, a nice trip with the first night stop St Johns, Newfie. Tool kit strapped in, hammock prepped for action, last smoke (don't even smoke these days) had, twice. On turning up on the flight deck the Air Eng was just setting up and asked me to go back out and clear him for a GTC start. No probs, GTC starts and shuts down. Back to the Flight deck and ask the Air Eng " Why do you start the GTC? ". Our man says, "well, you just want to know that it's going to work when you need it." Well, we all know what's coming, GTC fails to start with the full compliment of Her Majesties finest up front, a 3 hour delay followed and our first nightstop became Leuchars ISTR, with a fuel stop at Gander for Griffis AFB the next day. I've always respected the wisdom of the man in the middle seat, but then, I always was a sucker for rumour.

Smudge