PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Police helicopter crashes onto Glasgow pub
Old 5th Dec 2013, 10:44
ChippyChop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 2 bobs worth.

Enroute back to base in cruise, both engines stopped running most likely as they were starved of fuel, for whatever reason. The AIB will tell us why quite quickly I'd assume. The only other thing it could be is tail rotor drive failure due to the long time hovering previously, but due to the pictures seen so far probably less likely.

Dave did a classic night time auto into the nearest black hole at about 45kts forward speed, when he realised he was going into the pub he pulled the **** out of the leaver (as I would!!) and used up almost all of his RRPM. it was a hard landing but not that hard. He also pulled the stick back to arrest the last of his forward speed, damaging the tail. The bloody pub roof gave way during the energy transfer and they fell through nose first, where there is no protection. I imagine a lot of timber penetrated the cabin during the fall - not good for the crew sadly.

Forget bird strikes, forget MRGB failure.

I think he did a great job on the auto, just bad luck that the black hole was the pub and not a carpark.