PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 5th Dec 2013, 00:31
Danny42C

Revenge is...wet concrete !

Chugalug,

Picking up Fareastdriver's quote from you:

"Danny, we truckies were always pleased to deliver our pax early if possible, but that could raise fresh problems as you describe."

It is true: the Air Passenger was treated very well in those early days (but then there were very few of them). "Cattle Class" was still far in the future, arrivals half an hour early (or late) could easily be fitted into the system. And with airspeeds around 150 mph, a strong head or tail wind could make quite a difference; the schedules went to pot.

"Danny is a font of information" ? Wee-el, perhaps - just so's you don't rely on it too much !....D.

Fareastdriver,

Your quote: "Sometimes somebody would get home to realise that they were not expected"

Reminds me of a funny German story which I hope I've not told on Thread before - but as I tie my Posts to places, and I've only just got to Germany, it is unlikely. But will ckeck all my previous RAFG Posts....

....Can't find it, so here goes: concrete delivery driver goes off to work, picks up full load of wet concrete, finds he has forgotten wallet/driving licence/something, comes back home to get it. Outside his house is parked the Insurance man's car (locked, but with sunshine roof open, for it is a warm day).

But the lounge curtains are drawn - Funny, that... Driver peeps through a crack and sees wife and insurance man in flagrante delicto on the couch. The Sunshine Roof beckons...and in goes a load of wet concrete.

(This is a True Story, I read it in Der Spiegel. Driver was had up for wilful damage (hope he got off - but what an insurance claim on the car !)....D.

Goodnight to you both, Danny.