PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lufthansa and cabin safety
View Single Post
Old 4th Dec 2013, 21:14
Gibon2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lufthansa and cabin safety

Interesting experience flying back from Frankfurt to Geneva this evening on LH 1226. Boarding was delayed 15 mins and there was apparently a change of aircraft that meant some seats had to be reassigned (if I understood the not-terribly-clear automated announcement). No problem with that, and in due course we were bussed out to a waiting 737-500. Usual boarding chaos as everyone gets on from front and rear stairs, and attempts to stow their grand pianos, fridges, billiard tables, etc. It's cold, so lots of heavy coats to stow too. Flight is full to the brim, and needless to say, there's not enough room for all the carry-on. Also some confusion about seats, presumably stemming from the aircraft change.

So various pax are standing faffing about in the aisle, which is also littered with a collection of bags. And... off we go! Push back, engines start, taxi. Cabin crew, who hitherto had been following the "discretion is the better part of valour" approach to helping the pax get settled, suddenly appear and tell people to just sit down wherever they can. Result: people end up jammed in seats along with their bags.

I was in 20D and had a good view of the gentleman across the aisle in 19C, who had a max-cabin-size roller case jammed upright between his legs, and a good size daypack stacked on top of that. Neither he nor the unfortunate pax in 19 A and B would have had much chance in an evacuation. Cabin crew were fully aware of this, and did nothing - he stayed like that the whole flight. I imagine there were others similarly encumbered, but I couldn't see.

So, my questions to PPRuNe gallery:

1. Is this normal for LH? I've never seen such a performance on any other airline, and I've flown on some pretty dodgy ones. But maybe it's no big deal.

2. Should I report it to someone? If so, to whom? Flight safety dept at LH?