PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Police helicopter crashes onto Glasgow pub
Old 4th Dec 2013, 18:41
Thomas coupling

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post 534 chills me - I can't get it out of my mind. I have seen enough from pics/witnesses and debris to satisfy myself (A) the cab fell completely out of control and (B) it fell absolutely vertically with no sideways trajectory. The imprint on the ground matches exactly that of the circumference of the cabin area. There were no horizontal signs of motion.

I know it's difficult for newcomers to simply log on and write something but please at least do the rest of us the courtesy of catching up with what has already been said.

David had NO time to enter auto - the blades had stopped....that is a fact evidenced by the stationary condition of the MRH on impact.

Current police pilots - remind me (it's been a while): can you transmit if both engines are offline/genny's offline? Or does the pilots VHF come off the Bat busbar? I suspect the latter due to ANO requirements. Just checking.

Second Q: Were the bobbies using airwave/encrypted, if so, I wonder if they got a mayday out to the control room/bobbies on the ground?
If they weren't on Airwave - are there any radio hams out there who were monitoring their transmissions?
If both pilot 'victor' and police radios ran off the primary or DC bus. And if the gennys were offline because the engines/MGB wasn't turning - that is why nothing was transmitted.

I'm very intrigued by the Av8r post. By low side I presume you mean one of the ECU's suffered a runaway down yes? And the pilot didnt restore it or fly manually on that ecu during his recovery - to sustain Nr?

AgBis: You still think he was in fwd flt?

Non PC Plod - good to see you pop up on radar buddy! You aren't serious about TR failure from a hover are you? They are survivable - as you know - provided the pilot instinctively winds the collective fully off in a 135. From then on its a hairy auto but the Nr would be retained even if you did run out of air. And this incident categorically shows no MR movement at impact??

Kenneth - you have joined us late. This topic you discuss has been discussed here on this thread and on nearly every other 'sad' thread since Pprune started. It is part of the fabric for this site it is our way of venting frustration, sharing ideas, satisfying our curiosity. Pilots are a curious bunch!
The best analogy I heard was that if we were all in a crewroom (because this is after all an aviation website) - we would most certainly be discussing it from dawn to dusk and beyond.
It comes with the territory Kenneth - sorry.....and shut the crewroom door on your way out please?