PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-35 Cancelled, then what ?
View Single Post
Old 4th Dec 2013, 17:34
Engines

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
KBrock,

I have to disagree, but it's a discussion forum. I'm familiar with the relative sizes of the bays and I don't think the F-22 bays can be described as 'more flexible and voluminous'. If it were they'd put a 2000 pounder in it. But I don't think they can. But happy if we disagree.

The F-35A and F-35C bays were each sized to accept a 2000 pound JDAM plus an AIM-120. The F-35B bay is the same cross section, but shorter, and accepts a 1000 pound JDAM plus an AIM-120. Plus other load outs. These bays meet the stated requirements for the variants. F-35B always had the smaller weapon inn its requirement. LM tried for a bigger (2000 pound capable) bay on the STOVL, but physics (weight, drag, space) beat them in the end.

The F-22 bay couldn't accept a 'bulbous' door because it has to get its drag down far enough to do super cruise. The F-35 has certainly compromised 'all over its body'. So did the F-22. That's called the design process.

What might help is this: there is no mileage in trying to compare the F-22 and the F-35. They are different aircraft doing different jobs. Their designs are equally good, but with different compromises. The big difference is that there are 180 ish F-22s, and there will very probably be over 3,500 F-35s. Not 'good', not 'bad', just different.

Best Regards as ever

Engines

Last edited by Engines; 4th Dec 2013 at 18:27. Reason: Spelling