PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Police helicopter crashes onto Glasgow pub
Old 4th Dec 2013, 16:30
army_av8r

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just my personal opinion, what if the aircraft suffered some sort of dual engine failure, and rotor RPM was not maintained in a flyable range? we had two separate aircraft experience this exact scenario. the first aircraft had a FADEC failure to low side during autorotational rpm check, pilot tried to recover from the autorotation with collective at 500 feet and bled off almost every ounce of rotor rpm. aircraft tumbled from altitude after control was lost. I personally witnessed the second accident when during another Auto RPM check, pilot forgot to reclaim throttle, and tried to recover from the maneuver at 500 feet. aircraft fell vertically with very little RPM and impacted runway very hard in a level attitude causing the same type of damage to the aircraft as seen here. it was unfortunate that something as simple as a loss of NR led to 2 fatal accidents, but it happened, and could happen again.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...aii27May09.jpg

just my thoughts from a computer chair, condolences to all involved and hope to see a well written report as to the cause.