PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IR practise software
View Single Post
Old 4th Dec 2013, 13:54
AirborneAgain

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IR practise software

I am about to renew an IR which lapsed many years ago. Beside the necessary flight training, I'm planning to do a fair amount of procedural training on my own using a PC.

I've looked at some older threads on PPRuNe discussing the pros and cons of various simulator software in the training situation, but unfortunately I'm not much the wiser...

Many people speak highly of RANT XL, but having tried out the demo version, it seems to be best suited for learning IFR procedures, but what I need (I think) is not learning how IFR procedures work, but practicing them.

Also, RANT XL is in effect always "flown" using an autopilot/autothrottle with ALT/VS, HDG and IAS hold modes. That is surely good for learning how IFR procedures work, but not for practising. I did an essentially perfect ILS on the second try. Not that difficult when you can give your full concentration to navigating -- which of course you can't do in real life.

I want to have the distraction or "cognitive load" of keeping the simulated aircraft right side up and going in the right direction by manual control input while navigating the IFR procedures. I don't think it matters that much if the simulator doesn't handle exactly like the real aircraft.

I've also looked at the demo versions of X-plane and ELITE which both seem more like what I want. However, I've read that simulators commonly do not faithfully simulate the behavior of radio aids such as the various ADF errors, so that people pick up bad habits which later have to be unlearned in the air. This is obviously something I want to avoid...

X-plane does seem pretty good in this respect -- at least its magnetic compass exhibits the expected turning errors -- but the demo version is limited in mission time so I've not been able to check carefully. The ELITE demo version is even more limited.

I've had essentially zero experience with PC flight simulators before, so I would much appreciate some advise.

Also, how essential are rudder pedals for procedure training on a PC? Would a yoke and throttle quadrant be enough?