PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Drones - the future
View Single Post
Old 4th Dec 2013, 13:22
GaryShainberg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UAV / UAS / Drones and the Future

Guys and Gals,

Drones are here today and here to stay, all we have to wait for is the technology to catch up with the need and the regulation to catch up with the technology.

The Amazon announcement was nothing more than a way of them getting millions of $ free advertising the days before Black Friday and Cyber Monday, especially when people like Google have been looking at this for months.

Before any of this can happen there will need to be the development of a UAV style active avoidance system that will have to be maintained by the NATs of each country and be based on an agreed standard ala IFF but more like AIS in the marine world, otherwise the sky would chaos with Googles drones taking our Amazons drones and the military drones taking them all out......

Secondly todays GPS, even the military version is no where near accurate enough to guarantee the Amazon book gets delivered to house number 1 and not number2 so there will need to be some form of additional drone based ground / map recognition system to say "OK you are on top of the house co-ordinates, now use place recognition to land in the right spot.

Meanwhile we still need to evolve from the 15/20 min endurance that 90% of multi rotors have to at least 1 hour if not more, this is close as brushless motor tech is changing daily as is battery tech.

How do I know this, well I fly multi rotor UAV's commercially our main machines being Octocopters and Hexacopters and most of what you have alluded to on the thread I do daily and try (try being the operative word) to make money from it.
Gary