PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Gen AirShips - Hybrid Air Vehicles, UK
Old 4th Dec 2013, 10:00
HTB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Round about the turn of the century, I was working for that much derided campaign against aviation (parts of it actually applied their rulessensibly - but not, I suspect the interface between licensing/licenceholders/applicants for licences).

One fine day an enthusiastic gentleman had managed to wangle a meeting concerning use of airships; having nothing better to do (it was the campaign, remember) I was inveigled to participate in the meeting, along with some flt ops and engineering types (my area of responsibility lay with aerodromes). The proposal was for an airship/hybrid that resembled a large M&M sweet, but about 150ft in diameter, with four prop engines placed at the 90 degree points on the circumference.

The operation mooted was a service between Heathrow and Frankfurt airports. The presentation was a bit whacky, and between suppressed giggles from some of the CAA audience, we managed to highlight some potential operating constraints (for which read “difficulties”). Not the least was how to integrate the large, slow moving, relatively unmanoeuvrable chunk of fabric into the approach pattern for two very busy airports. Then there was the problem of where to park the Frisbee, if it was ever allowed access. However, this did not daunt our intrepid entrepreneur; Plan B was to use the large rivers that flowed through the two cities targeted. Right… The practicalities of trying to find a landing place on the Thames of the Main were discussed (and dismissed almostout of hand – Port of London Authority (and whoever controls German rivers) notwithstanding, there isn’t actually much space on the rivers to operate sucha craft, given the amount of other surface traffic that use them).

Plan C then… Hackney Marshes, or any other large open space within easy reach of the two cities (again, notwithstanding permission from the controlling authority, what about all those football pitches that would be disrupted). You can probably guess how the meeting wound up… don’t call us, because we certainly won’t call you.

The point I’m making is not aimed at the craft themselves (I’m sure there is a role for them), but for civil use there is limited (or non-existent) scope for viable commercial operating locations, at least as far as passengers are concerned (freight might be a discussion for another day).

Just another perspective to fill some gaps in the big picture

Mister B

Last edited by HTB; 4th Dec 2013 at 10:03. Reason: formatting text from cut 'n paste