PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Early days at Heathrow
View Single Post
Old 31st Mar 2003, 23:35
WebPilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I recently had the family Super8 films transferred to DVD and was fascinated to find within the collection of memories a section documenting a day trip to Heathrow in about 1962 with YT as a nipper in the paddling pool clearly visible on the roof of T2 (?) in the superb aerial shot above. Can you imagine taking the family for a day out to the hell that is Central Heathrow today???

On the film are a plethora of Viscounts and Vanguards, Caravelles, B707s and a solitary Air France Connie.

Later on I see from the films that we went to an airshow somewhere (my dad can't remember where but it's clearly an RAF expansion period airfield with a line of C-type aircraft sheds in the background, but not enough detail to make an ID). A Lincoln, the Blue Diamonds and a B52 all shown doing flypasts, along with a Tiger Moth, Spitfire and Hurricane. The Diamonds are breathtaking but who would have thought 40 years ago that the B52 would still be in the front line, and worse it would be still in action - but that's another subject entirely.

Great stuff everybody, keep it coming.