PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Police helicopter crashes onto Glasgow pub
Old 2nd Dec 2013, 18:58
Fortyodd2

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts
G-CPTN,
No Mayday call? Pilot busy. One of my Army Instructors used to say that one of the best Mayday calls you can make will be from a phone box, (this was in the days before mobiles), stating that you are safely on the ground and to send a truck to the following location to collect the wreckage. There's no point in a word perfect Mayday call whilst forgetting to fly the aircraft or deal with the problem.

Sid,
Agree about the engines - after the 2002 Strathclyde crash I seem to recall the AAIB report stating that after getting out of the cockpit, the pilot had to reach back in to shut off the engines which were still running. But, as you well know, shutting them down with the collective throttles will only take them to a low idle. There's a button to press or catch to move, depending on type, to shut the fuel off completely. Taking your hand off the collective to move 4 switch guards and operate the engine main switches would be difficult to say the least in such a short space of time. The fire bottle switches are even further from the collective.

Shy,
One of the issues about "getting the information out there" is that as soon as something like this happens we are told by management "don't talk to the press" - who naturally, if they can't find anyone who does know what they are talking about drag out the usual "experts". I was very impressed by Mr Miller from the AAIB today though!