PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CSA China Southern!
View Single Post
Old 2nd Dec 2013, 10:07
737lpa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have never flown in China and have never flown long-haul or anything that would require augmented / double crew so I have no clue as to what you can log as PIC on those flights.

My thinking (completely unconfirmed and probably wrong) was that only the PIC designated by CSA (the Chinese Captain) was able to log as PIC the entire flight, weather he is flying, sleeping, or moving his bowels.

It seems a bit awkward though, that I can log as PIC when I'm physically operating, even when the designated PIC for the flight (the Chinese Captain) is also logging while sleeping in the bunks. That would place 2 captains logging PIC for the same leg, which seems a bit contrary to my understanding of time logging.

Having said that, I can understand that CSA would initially place the restriction of always having to fly as part of a double crew during the first year or so to Captains like myself, who are non-rated, have never flown wide body or long-haul, are new to China and their ways and have never operated ETOPS, Cargo only acft, etc...

I'm just afraid that we get stuck in that status longer than desired / needed while the "advertised" bases get delayed and with a bank check in their hand that would make a potential move difficult if the promises and believes don't get delivered.

I'm waiting to read a draft contract for the job to see if I can clarify myself a little bit and see more beauties than threats for this gig...