PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Police helicopter crashes onto Glasgow pub
Old 2nd Dec 2013, 09:40
CJ Romeo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am not an Aviator of any type, but I do read the forum occasionally.

I frequently work in this area at height (so am used to looking down on Glasgow) and find it hard to believe that this was chosen even mistakenly for an emergency landing site:

1) If flying east to west, it would just have flown over Glasgow Green, a large open park, I reckon this is less than 100 yards away and deserted at night.
2) Just 50 Yards to the North is a large open car park, which is mostly empty at night, which would have been a minor deviation of flying w-e or e-w (though the aircraft would need to clear / navigate around some higher buildings.
3) The bar is boxed in on an L shape by the much higher Briggait building, any planned landing would have brought the rotor just a few metres from the permiter walls, again.
4) That area is a busy road junction, the bridges and buildings are all all floodlit, its exceptionally well illuminated (if not over illuminated), and press photos confirm what I thought in that the street lighting columns are higher than the Clutha Bar's roof, so you it wasn't an anonymous black entity.

I just thought I bring this to the fore, I don't think the pilot had a choice as to where the aircraft ended up.