PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 2nd Dec 2013, 08:53
Chugalug2

Received 228 Likes on 71 Posts
Warmtoast, your picture of the STC (?) buses in Changi village brought back even more memories. Having never travelled in them, given the alternative of travelling in a Mercedes Pickup Taxi to Singapore City for a mere 50c (albeit sharing it with other travellers, their chickens, etc), I only ever stepped foot in one once.
I was RAF Changi Duty Defence Commander, a grandiose title which merely meant spending the night inside a room together with another unfortunate (Duty Defence Sergeant, or some such) armed with telephones and lists of people to ring. Late one night the telephone rings. A suspect device has been found on a bus in Changi village and the O i/c FEAF Bomb Disposal is on his way.
When he turns up I am disturbed to see that he is in full Mess Kit, having been called away from a Fairy Point Guest Night. I am even further disturbed when he invites me to go with him to the scene to assist him in the 'disposal'. So we jump in his car and make the brief journey into the village where sure enough an empty bus is parked untidily across the road, surrounded by curious onlookers at a not very respectful distance.
We get on the bus and search under the seats to find a package containing wires, batteries, and some cylindrical objects. My mentor snorts, reaches in and pulls the wires free. I am further disturbed, until it dawns on me that we have not both been blown to smithereens. He says something about it being a hoax designed to make the British look foolish. I am inclined to say that it succeeded, but hold my tongue. I am delivered back safely to the sanctuary of the Duty Defence Room and write a brief report. Normal service resumes...