PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CSA China Southern!
View Single Post
Old 2nd Dec 2013, 01:41
737lpa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not thinking that the job will be purely as a cruise captain (which is normally done by an F/O anyway). But my concern is that if the Chinese Captain will always get designated as the PIC (and it appears that it will be so), we will not be able to log PIC even if acting as operating crew on every other leg, which I know we will be just to stay current anyway.

In short, I think you will make the captains salary as advertised, have four stripes in your uniform, be addressed as "Captain" by the company and takeoff and land from the left seat with an F/O on the right, but if you're never the PIC for the flight, I don't see how you can log PIC time even if seating at the controls.

I don't know the exact rules on this and I would love to know the facts, but it seems an obscure subject that no one likes to discuss clearly, not even CSA or the agencies.

But one thing is for sure, the fact that you will only operate as part of a heavy crew and never on a single leg with just an F/O, along with the required bank guarantee for 2 years, makes me think that you will only be designated PIC by the company on flights after 2 years have gone by.

And that, along with the western bases yet to be announced, scares me a little bit...