PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 11
View Single Post
Old 2nd Dec 2013, 00:19
Chris Scott

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Quote from DonH (my emphasis):
I agree with come posters here who say that more manual flight training may not be the answer, although psycho-motor skills do need constant reinforcement to build muscle memory that can be quickly relied upon when rational thought and analysis can take more time.

There are certainly no easy solutions to the problem, which we and others recognize. However, in the many UAS events covered in the BEA AF447 reports, the PFs have had no alternative than to take manual control at short notice. Whether that sudden and unexpected transition initially involves action or inaction on the side-stick, it is going to be far less challenging mentally and physically if the PF has had fairly recent experience of hand-flying the a/c (also in C* law in this case) without FD in similar conditions, albeit with the advantage of an ASI.

Evidence suggests that the PF of AF447 tensed up, pulling the stick back inadvertently as he concentrated on controlling roll in roll-direct law. That would imply a lack of confidence in his ability simply to fly the a/c straight and level. Confidence, IMO, is enhanced by practice. Lack of confidence exacerbates the initial startle factor.

I've already covered the issue of familiarity with the effect of small changes of pitch attitude in recent posts. As we have seen on this thread, it is not only UAS that can lead to pilots losing control when the AP disengages at altitude.