PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 11
View Single Post
Old 1st Dec 2013, 16:58
DonH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chris Scott;

Re, "However, I've yet to find any evidence of supernumerary presence in the cockpit, which you [Winnerhofer] claimed a few days ago?"

In the CVR record, there are some communications with the F/As. Such communications are routine and usually concern meals, anticipated turbulence, route information, passenger matters, etc. It would not be uncommon for an FA to be on the flight deck for a few moments for such communications. Many times such communications are done through the cockpit-cabin interphone system but of course the meals are always brought into the cockpit and inevitably a short chat takes place. Normal operations, (meal service, discussions regarding turbulence, etc) would not be "evidence of supernumerary presence".

It may be different in Europe, the US etc, (although I doubt it), but regarding ETOPS qualifications, pilots are trained and qualified for such operations but ETOPS is not an endorsement on the licence. Just as one is not "endorsed" for Category III operations, one is trained and qualified for such operations on the airplane one is operating. Such training and qualifications would normally only be part of the pilot's current qualification file and are not on the actual pilot's licence.

For the record regarding comments made elsewhere in re SW111, last time I looked, the MD11 was a 3-engine aircraft and ETOPS stands for "Extended-range Twin-engine Operational Performance Standards" and the TSB made no such comments regarding crew ETOPS qualifications.

Last edited by DonH; 1st Dec 2013 at 17:34.