PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LAM Mozambique flight crashed...
View Single Post
Old 1st Dec 2013, 16:10
Admiral346

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have thought about a double engine failure also, but on the AVHerald a ROD of 6000 fpm is reported. That would fit a high level glide, maintaining a constant machnumber. I get rates of 4-5000 fpm in that regime descending on mach .80 with idle (Level change mode). If you subtract the idle power, and consider that my plane is usually loaded a lot heavier, 6000 for a light 190 (30pax) seems to make sense.
That stops, though, when reaching trnsition to IAS, then the rate reduces significantly to about 1500 fpm at IAS 250 at 10.000'. Maintaining a rate of 6000fpm would definetly overspeed the aircraft.

So maybe that information is faulty, or is an average overall or is the initial ROD.

Andrasz:
...as they are in the European or US skies on any average hot summer afternoon. T-storms don't just bring down a modern jet mid-cruise
Well,... the largest TS I have seen were in Africa, cruising at FL350 the thing looks the same distance up as it does down, they dwarf our european TS.
By far the meanest, though, are the ones in NAmerica. Absolutley deadly. Just look at all the tornadoes they get over there...

I do hope they find the reasons for this crash soon, I fly the same type and am worried about anything immanent to the system. Icing of engines has made news (Boeing - GE) recently and this was no inflight breakup in a TS. It hit in one piece, as far as I can interpret the pictures of the crashsite.