PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How do I become a flight dispatcher
View Single Post
Old 1st Dec 2013, 11:49
LIMA18

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jaylou777 and Patryan;

Getting a job as a flight dispatcher is pretty tough, recruiters normally look for candidates with some aviation experience. One way of reaching that goal is taking the route that I took.

Get a job in passenger services in an airline or handling agent for about a year or two and get to know what happens on the other side of the 'passenger handling' equation. While you are working in pax services make the dispatch dept know of your interest in becoming a flight dispatcher.

This is where you show some initiative. If it is ok with the flight dispatch dept ask them if you can 'shadow' a flight dispatcher in your spare time and get to know the job. This can be to your advantage because from time to time flight dispatch can be short of dispatchers, when this occurs flight dispatch know that someone in pax services knows the basics of dispatch and they might ask you to dispatch a couple of flights during that shift. It might be a small prop job, but believe you me when this happens it gives a big boost to your confidence. Also flight dispatch will be grateful to you for helping out.

When a dispatching vacancy does arise, most companies recruit internally and you would obviously become a candidate, as by now you know the job and your training period would be kept to a minimum.

I hope I have been of some help and best of luck to you both in your quest.

Brgds.