PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Practicalities of hunting down that first job.
Old 1st Dec 2013, 05:14
deadcut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gear up,

I was a newbie end of last year. Admittedly almost half your age and in a worse financial situation but anyway.

I moved to a town in the Kimberley's, stayed in backpackers for about 3 months (eventually moved to a share house) worked all sorts of jobs to keep myself afloat. Wet season was the hardest, most jobs scale the hours back and I was living on about 300 a week (200 of which was rent). Didn't have the best diet but always had enough for a carton of the cheapest beer on sale to get on it with the boys.

I religiously visited the companies every fortnight. Some times I would just pop in to say hi, other times I would drop in an "updated" resume over the course of about 6 months I got to know other pilots and also other wannabes looking for work. I think that was key to getting a job. My current employer took the most recent resumes he had and asked his preset employers if they recognised any of the names. Mine was one of them and eventually got an interview, check flight and then a job On the other hand there were dudes who were in town for 2 weeks (TWO FKN WEEKS!!!) and got jobs because they knew someone. I knew no one in the state before I moved up.

If took me over half a year from moving to town to full time employment. I would not change a thing. From the start of the journey I have made life long friends and that in itself is worth the effort.

Good luck.