PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boeing 747 Dreamlifter lands at wrong airport
Old 1st Dec 2013, 03:57
8driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here is the commonalty. In each of these accidents (Atlas, Asiana, UPS at BHM), the PROPER use of VNAV could have prevented the accident. In San Fran with Asiana it was a TransPac flight (fatigue), ILS OTS, new captain under training, and cultural/seniority issues. So load and fly the RNAV approach. Use all the resources available.

Atlas at Jabara. Approach was in the box, fly the damn thing. Its night into what one could assume was an unfamiliar airport with many other airports nearby. Use the technology.

UPS at Birmingham. I don't know the A300 at all, but I've been told a VNAV mode exists. A reliable source at the FAA told me they basically V/S'd the damn thing into the trees and the hill. Fatigue? Early morning and low circadian rhythm? Use the resources available.

If you get caught up in the argument that Asiana killed three and injured many more, Atlas killed nobody, and UPS only killed two you miss the point. The point being that all of these accidents/incidents were preventable had the installed technology been used to its fullest.