PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How does this young guy sound for a job?
View Single Post
Old 1st Dec 2013, 00:41
RetiredTooEarly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How does this young guy sound for a job?

Having been out of the industry for some fifteen years, I have kind of lost touch with the whole employment scene, here there and everywhere.

I have semi 'adopted' a young guy - 24 single - near my place in Brisbane and have been giving him advice on interviews, quals and the like to crack a decent job ex GA in Australia.

Briefly he has some 4,000 hours all up with only about 800 on twins the biggest being an archaic old SkyVan turbo prop on which he has about 600 hours. He has all the night flying requirements, a Class I IFR rating, C Grade instructor and the usual scattering of work experience predominately working with parachutists and crappy charter work.

He is a trier and though having been to interviews with Cathay, Singapore, Air Niugini and all the Aussie carriers has not had much luck to date.

Can anybody out there suggest to me whether he should pack his log book, licence and just head off to the great sand pit in the Middle East, or maybe Asia to try for the second level of operators who flog old tired jets around? Like all of us went through, getting the first 'big break' onto a pure jet or glass cockpit is never easy...........

I don't expect job offers from this post, but maybe just a brief hint or suggestion which path he should go down next?

Thanks all