PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Practicalities of hunting down that first job.
Old 30th Nov 2013, 22:14
Wally Mk2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'Geary' fortunately most of the comments here are positive, ignore any that really are angry people inside of which this industry has many!
You don't mention anything of yr personal life, not that we are asking but it does have a huge bearing on what advice can be given here or how someone perceives what abilities you have outside of that piece of paper.
Seeing as yr a mature age pilot having started out late in some ways this ambition will for work for you & then again against you, meaning there are a lot of young whipper snippers out there who will sell their soul to drive a plane & have no commitments elsewhere. Assuming you have a family behind you then obviously they are yr main consideration re what/where to go next. Can you support them with what yr planing to do, drop $$$ & the security of a large Co position, the latter more the long term issue as this mugs game of flying for a living is now very unstable.
If by chance yr footloose & fancy free you have an interested journey ahead of you & many would be envious:-)
I personally can't give you much advice much like my very good buddy 'JR' we are old buggers now you see & came up thru the ranks when the industry was flourishing but we can give you encouragement & a little insight into the pitfalls along the way.
Always have a back up plan, yr intentions maybe great but you are delving now into an industry that is far remote from yr current employers way of doing business & by that I mean yr first commercial job could be seasonal & at best a short term gig. Can you afford to be unemployed (between jobs) for periods at a time?
Obviously your keen to do this (flying) for a living having spent a few dollars along the way so far but can you handle it if a full time satisfying gig doesn't come long long term for quite a while? Can flying privately satisfy yr lust to be flying commercially? There many guys/gals in here am sure whom would liked to have flown for a living but couldn't/didn't for one reason or another but fly privately 'cause they have well paid jobs outside the aviation field, 'jabba' comes to mind he's as happy as pig in mud, well pig in a homebuilt !
I started out late commercially myself as I simply couldn't afford it any earlier (left a very secure at the time & well paid job) & have made it to the big shinny jet (which is not what it's cracked up to be anyway, well that's my take on it) but back in my early times aviation was flourishing charter wise & there where jobs aplenty of you kept at it but now it's a different game I'd say.
One of the things I found along the way was I was kinda not looked at to favorably due my hours commensurate with age, at yr age there's plenty of guys around with many 1000's of hrs, this I found was a bit of a stumbling block for me along the way but didn't stop me altogether but left me having to explain why.
The above is a bit of rambling on I guess but do what you can get out & at least try as if you don't give it a go you'll always wonder ............"what if."......& you don't want to become a bitter & twisted old man with only 'wish' memories:-)

good luck stay focused & always have a back up plan

Wmk2