PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Practicalities of hunting down that first job.
Old 30th Nov 2013, 22:13
Metro man

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Married with children and a mortgage ? That would change things a bit. I would be very hesitant to put myself on the street with a brand new CPL and no money coming in. I've been out of work and know what it's like. It's much easier to get a job when you have one already. After six months of not working people start to question what's going on. Try keeping you licence current while you have no income.

Your idea of hitting the road once a month while you have access to staff travel and a pay cheque sounds best. Not all employers will want you to start immediately, usually some forward planning is involved. A current employee would normally have to give a months notice. Unless a walkout or immediate dismissal is involved, a company with an aircraft sitting around with no pilot to fly it has screwed up.

Have a back up plan just incase you arrive after being given a start date, only to be told the job has fallen through. It has happened before in GA