PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SOUTHAMPTON
Thread: SOUTHAMPTON
View Single Post
Old 30th Nov 2013, 19:29
StGermain

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TCAS FAN

I knew you wouldn't let this one lie! ha ha. I see that you are again concentrating on just the operational aspects on all of your issues with SOU, laying blame at the feet of those who you consider to have no competence because they haven't always subscribed to your ideas for a utopian airport. At the risk of repeating myself chum, it really does come down to finance available. As you are seemingly an operational bod, I know that you will be in agony with what follows. Truth is my friend, available funds will always be the investment limiter at any airport,and in particular the subject regional airport where 90% of the income comes from one airline who will not be keen to finance any expansion because a: their air fares will have to pay for it, and b: the resultant increase in ground capacity could open the way for rival airlines.

The runway performance issues you have cited my dear chap are quite rare, I think, and just look at your choice of the aeroplanes with operational difficulties in wet runway conditions - B737/800 and MD83! The runway is only 1700m long for goodness sake, no wonder the crews were reluctant to commit to that. I actually think that the airline traffic model currently operating,is just about right for the length of that runway.

As for the airport master plan, try and reflect on what the masterplan process asked airports to do. ie; in a perfect world, how would you grow and where would you grow to (land requirements) during the next 25 years. This work was completed by airports in 2006, a whole three years before the UK was bitten hard by a long term recession and airlines failing frequently. No wonder the plans have changed chum, if it was your business I think you may have reflected on your aspirations too and limited your financial risk just like the management of SOU have done.

You've obviously got a heap of history with SOU and lots of reasonable ideas for change. Have you ever thought about channeling your frustration with the perceived lack of competence at SOU, in to something positive by going to speak to them? May be worth a thought chap, as your audience on this forum are not the people who can make those changes happen.

Please do not take the above response as a dig at your professional, operational opinions. I just had to comment to bring a little bit of reality and honesty in to your world and the minds of followers on this thread...