PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Non-TR DEC and FO Recruitment Jet2
View Single Post
Old 30th Nov 2013, 17:21
Lord Spandex Masher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paul,
real flying, in strong cross winds, into short runways, with non precision approaches, and limited ATC services outside controlled airspace, daily practise raw data hand flying skills, in icing conditions, during high frequency short sectors with quick turnarounds, most of which is frowned upon in jet companies.
None of that is frowned on at Jet2. Indeed sometimes you can't avoid icing or crosswinds and I've flown more raw data approaches since I've been here than in the last 15 years, despite having done the turbo prop thing too.

There is a lot more opportunity to fly on a turbo prop, than be stuck managing a jet.
You may well be right that there is more opportunity to fly a turbo prop, but having done both I can state that there is no more willingness to hand fly, raw data, a Dash than there is a 737 especially on your sixth multi sector day at the arse end of the clock, in fact see above and I think the opposite is true. Go figure. You also have to manage a turbo prop and all the modern ones have got the same number of gizmos as a jet. So all in all, these days, it's much of a muchness.

Which leads me to my final point -

I happen to know that Jet2 has recently employed at least one DEC who has ONLY got TP hours. So you can't say Jet2 consider TP time as worthless, in fact they obviously agree with you!