PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Potential Pitfalls of group ownership ?
View Single Post
Old 30th Nov 2013, 11:02
phiggsbroadband

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi 742, I am in a C172 group at Sleap, and without doing some very prolonged calculations, I am not too sure how it compares to flying a Club Aircraft.. financially. Some years there are unexpected bills to be paid for servicing of faulty parts that have broken.

However in the group we can take the plane out for a complete day (or days by arrangement.) so there is less urgency about meeting time slots.

I remember hiring a Club 172 for a trip to North Coates, on the North Sea coast. I had it booked from 11:30, but was told that the previous flyer was still out in it... He returned at about 13:00, and when I asked him where he had gone he said... North Coates! So that aircraft made two flights across the country that day, and still returned before the club closed, but it was a bit of a rush.

If you can ask your club about their policy on taking their aircraft out for a complete day, then maybe it might even be the better option. After all a non-profit club is really like a big group share, in that the assets of the club are owned by a large membership, and that any breakages or upgrades are paid for over a larger group of fliers.

Last edited by phiggsbroadband; 30th Nov 2013 at 11:17.