PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Practicalities of hunting down that first job.
Old 30th Nov 2013, 10:08
Gearupandorrf

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Practicalities of hunting down that first job.

Hi everyone,

So as of this week, I now find myself with a shiny new MECIR to go with my CPL, ATPL subjects and 300 hours.

Now it's time to try to secure the job.

Just a quick question based on your experiences if I may.....

Presently I'm employed in Flight Operations (Dispatch) for a major Australian Airline. A bonus of my current employment is that it provides me with:
- blocks of up to 5- 6 rostered days off at a time and;
- access to Staff Travel and associated discounts on Car Hire/ Accommodation.

This puts me in a position to keep the $ coming in from my present job, but concurrently to "hit the road" for close to a week at a time and go knocking on doors. Being able to fly everywhere will cut trip times and maximise time looking for work.

For instance, I could do close to a week in Broome and surrounds in one block, then a few weeks later do a "top end" trip for a week, and then cover north QLD on another trip. Then, I could conduct "follow up" trips every month with follow up phone calls and emails to make sure that I'm not forgotten.

In your opinions, could such a strategy prove successful? Or, is actually relocating the ONLY way to go? I'm slightly hesitant to cut myself loose from a well paying job in the industry without having a job to go to.

All thoughts and opinions welcome.

Cheers,
Gearup.